Changes on McDrake International

questions, corrections, complaints, suggestions

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:29 am

Changes on McDrake International since 1 January 2007.

This topic compiles significant maintenance changes.
Continued from topic 'Changes on McDuck International', which logs changes since 15 October 2006.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:52 am

31 December 2006:

Migration of board, by copying it from server McDuck to server McDrake.
Name 'McDuck International' (of copy) changed to 'McDrake International'.
Profile Sander (of copy) turned from technical maintainer to member.
http://bb.mcdrake.nl/engdisney/

Original, frozen McDuck-incarnation can be found archived at:
http://discussion.mcduck.nl/

1 January 2007:

'McDuck International' continues as 'McDrake International' at http://bb.mcdrake.nl.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:16 am

Significant changes since 1 January 2007 up to today, 15 April 2007. (From recollection.)

(January) 2007

- Categories refering to McDuck renamed to McDrake. ('Other McDuck-boards' to 'Other McDrake-boards', and 'Outside McDuck' to 'Outside McDrake')
- Linking to McDuck-served Dutch boards changed to linking to McDrake-served Dutch boards.
- Link to old (frozen) Dutch McDuck preserved under category 'Outside McDrake'.

10 January 2007
- Category 'Fanfiction' added.

10 February 2007
- Internal boardlinking updated (edited) to McDrake in pre-McDrake postings, adding the edit-note: "boardlinking updated to McDrake". This editing is done to avoid confusion with the archived frozen board at the McDuck-server, which can be found at: http://discussion.mcduck.nl/

(January?/February?/March?) 2007

- Category 'Disney comics' renamed to 'Disney comics & general'. Description changed from 'various topics' to 'films, DVDs, games, parks, etc.'
- Category 'Off-topic' renamed to 'Contact'.
- Subforum 'Off-Topic International' moved from category 'Contact' to 'Disney comics & general'.
- Links added to the navigation bar shown on top of each page: 'McDrake overview', 'COA/Inducks', and 'DCML Archives' and 'More links'.
- Individual external links (under category 'Outside McDrake') replaced with the link to an overview of links. ('More links') Except for the individual link to old (frozen) Dutch Disney McDuck.nl forum, which is kept in the category.

17 March 2007

- In an emergency due to an unbearable amount of (mainly sexual explicit) spam posted on the board, by not having any spamfilters available for guests, the open guest-option is turned to read-only. Hopefully this is temporary.

15 April 2007
- Text of the rules adjusted to McDrake. (Name and links).
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 pm

16-08-2007

- Administration/moderation-options moved from personal profile "Daniel73" to new, general profile "admin".
- New e-mail adres created, especially for contacting the administrator. (admin@mcdrake.nl)
- Title ("administrator") of profile "Daniel73" changed to "Member" (forum default).
- Profile "Daniel73" is now for individual use only, as it was before 15 October 2006.
Daniel73

Postby admin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:59 pm

summer 2008

Due to an overload of spambots registering and posting, the entire forumboard has been switched to read-only. (Last on-topic posting was 2008-07-19.)
Among the postings were so-called hardcore pictures.

06-01-2009

Clean-up of Userlist, as an attempt to delete spambots. All of them had 0 postings. (Some of these spambots had in fact 1 posting, which has already been deleted shortly afterwards. These spambots were then directly banned.)
This action has brought down the number of members from at least 1000 to 74.

The clean-up is only aimed against spambots. Only profiles with 0 postings have been deleted.
Members who have been accidently deleted can send a note to be registered again, using this contact address: admin@mcdrake.nl

As an emergency, the forumboard is now only fully open for people who already are member. Only they can write new postings.
New registrations are now only possible by sending a note to the above mentioned contact address. Apogolies for the inconvenience.
Hopefully, a better solution will be found to avoid spambots.
Last edited by admin on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:38 pm

14-01-2010
[summer 2008] Due to an overload of spambots registering and posting, the entire forumboard has been switched to read-only. (Last on-topic posting was 2008-07-19.)

Since now, members can contribute again.
Self-registering is still turned off. People who want to become a member can e-mail to "register@mcdrake.nl".

(Explanation: After the januari 2009 removal of registered spambots, the admin forgot turn off the read-only option. And it took two years to discover that. Apologies.)
admin
Site Admin

Postby Robb_K » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:54 pm

I think this forum suffers from not having a regular feature that the main McDrake board has-specifically, the physical marking (blue box) notifying readers that a new post has been made since their last visit. We get almost no regular McDrake readers here, despite the fact that most McDrake posters both read and write the English language. (Indeed, a "write in English" thread has been used in the McDrake Off Topic Forum). I contend that many of them would likely be interested in threads here, if they only knew that some ction is taking place here. Unfortunately, the McDrake International thread is titled, but, just seems to sit there with no action, as the blue box never appears. Perhaps most McDrakers think nothing ever happens here (true for the past 4 years-but we are ready again for action).

Administrator (Daniel), please consider adding the feature of the blue box to show members on Main McDrake.NL that new posts have been made here.
Robb_K

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Robb_K wrote:I think this forum suffers from not having a regular feature that the main McDrake board has-specifically, the physical marking (blue box) notifying readers that a new post has been made since their last visit.

When I log in on the forum, I see blue boxes marking the subforums with new postings. Just like the Dutch forum.

Robb_K wrote:Administrator (Daniel), please consider adding the feature of the blue box to show members on Main McDrake.NL that new posts have been made here.

Do you mean that the Dutch forum doesn't show blue boxes when a posting appears on the international forum?
The reason for that is the forums each have their own software installation, working independent from each other.

For a standard user (like me) playing admin, it's impossible to adjust software. One needs a programmer for that. On the Dutch forum, a member has offered to assist with upgrading the PunBB software. Once I have a browsable backup of the forums up to now, I hope McDrake can experiment with having more than just one admin.
Daniel73

Postby Daniel73 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:07 pm

BTW. If you have contributed to a topic (or started one yourself) and you subscribe to the topic, you'll get an e-mail notification of new postings.
The subscription link can be seen at the bottom of each topic page, after logging in.
Daniel73

Postby Robb_K » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks, Daniel. I did read the post of the McDrake member offering to help upgrade the software. I hope he will be able to help us have a notification on the main McDrake Nederlandse Forum that new posts have been made on both the McDrake International Forum AND the McDrake Off-Topic Forum.
Robb_K

Postby admin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:24 pm

23-01-2011

- On the indexpage, the link to old Dutch McDuck.nl forum (2003-2006) is updated to http://www.mediafire.com/mcduck, where the most recent file (2007-01-31) can be found. The old link was forum.mcduck.nl.
- The link 'McDrake overview' on top of each page is retitled as 'McDrake Forums'. The linked page contains a link to the main overview.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Changes on McDrake International

Postby JOPDVCK » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 am

I want to talk about the content and appearance of McDrake.
1. Why are there so few separate sub-forums?
The Disney Comics and General is a bit much for a subfora. It would be better to create a separate subforum about Disney Comics and a separate subforum for Disney General.
2. Can anything be done for the appearance?
It is a bit drowsy. Personally, I like the color green more. It would also be nice if there is something nice with the letters. For example, there is a cap of the nephews on one of the letters and another letter has the Mickey Mouse pants on.
JOPDVCK

Return to About McDrake International