Wanneer komt er weer eens iets nieuws van Don Rosa?

Berichtdoor Ei » wo mei 09, 2007 4:20 pm

Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 08:32:16 EDT
Subject: Re: Awards Debate
To: dcml

Michiel Prior wrote:

"I guess I could have done with "I strongly disagree" [ instead of 'This is
sheer nonsense'],
which gives an equally adequate, but probably less offensive, expression of
my feelings towards your statement."

Thank you for that, Michiel. With that said, everything else becomes little
more than a civil difference of opinion.

Niet te geloven hoe onze landgenoot Michiel zich laat betuttelen en de les laat lezen, door iemand die beweert dat Don Rosa moet winnen "under any circumstance!".
(Let op het geciteerde uitroepteken.)

Ei vindt Michiel's reactie op zo'n manier weinig meer met een discussie te maken hebben. Michiel kiest zijn woorden zuinig en benepen, roept zijn stelling deels terug ("sheer nonsense" wordt "I strongly disagree"), en laat zich zo via de kleine achterdeur wegsturen.
Jammer. Je geeft een mening en bij het eerste de beste protest roep je 'm deels terug. Michiel's reactie lijkt wel een studie in diplomatie. Zo'n formulering is lang niet voor iedereen weggelegd, in een hobby-discussie over strips en striptekenaars.

Maar goed. Alle kritiek terzijde heeft Michiel meegeholpen om Don Rosa weer eens openbaar uit zijn nek te laten kletsen. Hulde!

Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:27:27 -0400
Subject: RE: DCML Digest, Vol 51, Issue 6

>>>>> 1. Awards debate (M.J. Prior)

Obviously I should put in my 2 cents about this....
I do not wish to win this award. One wants to win awards, sure, but for work
that one knows is truly outstanding. One doesn't wanna win awards based on
some fluke of timing or how submissions were nominated or not nominated. I
was hoping to get nominated for "The Dream of a Lifetime" or "Prisoner of
White Agony Creek", both of which I was *very* proud of.

Pardon? Vindt Rosa dat 'Prisoner of White Agony Creek' een "truly outstanding" werk is? Een "werkelijk bijzonder/uitstaand" werk?

Wat is er zo "outstanding" dan, aan 'Prisoner of White Agony Creek'? Ei kan wel iets schunnigs noemen, dat blijkbaar "outstanding" is in het verhaal. Een zeker lichaamsdeel van Dagobert. En misschien ook dat van Rosa tijdens het maken van het verhaal. Rosa heeft niet alleen zijn toezegging verbroken dat hij de maand van Dagobert en Goldie met rust zou laten, Rosa heeft er een sexistisch verhaal van gemaakt. 'Prisoner of White Agony Creek' is letterlijk en figuurlijk een verkrachting van werk van Barks.

Afbeelding

Scrooge: "Okay... Let's get on with it! Between the legs!"
Goldie: "I beg your pardon?!"
Scrooge: "Er... The way to White Agony Valley is between the mammoth's legs! Get going!"
Goldie: "Hmph!"

Afbeelding
panel 1, court: "Based on careful deliberation (and many years of experience with life) it is the verdict of this court that what's going on in that cabin is NOT a hangin' offense in Langtry, Texas -- or anywhere ELSE! Thank GOSH!"
En dat op een pagina waarin direct naar Barks verwezen wordt, door een deel van Barks's 'Back to the Klondike' over te trekken.

Wie laat zich door mensen met zo'n platte mentaliteit leren wat fatsoenlijk is?
Ga kinderen op straat maar vertellen over hoe Dagobert wel/geen sex heeft gehad, en dat zo'n verhaal "truly outstanding" is en een Eisner Award verdient...

"One wants to win awards, sure, but for work that one knows is truly outstanding."
Ei

Berichtdoor Ei » wo mei 09, 2007 4:53 pm

Don Rosa schreef:And then somebody would shout up from the audience "Y'know, and *I've* been wondering how you win American Eisners when your work is all done for and reprinted from Europe, making you only eligible for the single BEST FOREIGN MATERIAL award?", a question I cannot answer, so then they might demand all my past Eisners be returned and a fistfight would break out and tables knocked over and that would simply not do.(***note below)

Interessant dat Rosa opmerkt dat het gaat om EUROPESE verhalen. Wat hebben Gemstone en Eisner Awards te maken met Europese verhalen?

In het geval van Europese verhalen is er meer keuze. Dus waarom dan uitgerekend voor Rosa kiezen?

Don Rosa schreef:*** Then my final question, before or after the fistfight,

Fistfight? Vuistgevecht? Interessante fantasie. In gedachten ziet Don Rosa zichzelf als heldhaftige winnaar op het podium staan, terwijl mensen in het publiek vechten over Eisner Awards die hij eerder gewonnen heeft.

Don Rosa schreef:would be "How in the name o' god did you people not even nominate, much less make a winner out of, Gemstone's magnificent (and so inexpensive!) job of reprinting the LIFE AND TIMES OF $CROOGE McDUCK or LaTo$McD COMPANION as BEST GRAPHIC NOVEL OF THE YEAR - REPRINT CATEGORY. It was Bud Plant's *best-selling* comic book item of *any sort* of the year, and fans have raved about it around the world. Gemstone did a spectacular job! And not even a nomination for either book?! For shame!"

Over schande gesproken. Een knap staaltje valse bescheidenheid. Don Rosa roemt zichzelf via Gemstone. Als die boeken van Gemstone genomineerd waren, dan was dat ook eer voor Don Rosa geweest.
Don Rosa vindt het een schande dat boeken met zijn werk niet zijn genomineerd.

Don Rosa schreef:Then they'd take away my plastic wine cup and ask me to leave...

Die "plastic wine cup" kan men inderdaad beter weghalen. Als Rosa nuchter(??) is dan zwetst hij al slap genoeg.
Ei

Berichtdoor Rockerduck » wo mei 09, 2007 11:59 pm

Ik vond Rosa best grappig in die e-mail. Niet op álle slakken zout leggen, beste Ei.
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head into a guillotine
Rockerduck

Berichtdoor Ei » do mei 10, 2007 12:24 am

Rockerduck schreef:Ik vond Rosa best grappig in die e-mail. Niet op álle slakken zout leggen, beste Ei.

Het gaat niet alleen om grappig zijn, maar ook om de inhoud. Stel je voor: Een Eisner nominatie voor 'Prisoner of White Agony Creek'.
En dan de vraag hoe "in the name o' god"(!), een of twee herdruk-boeken met zijn werk niet genomineerd zijn. In "de naam van god".

I was hoping to get nominated for "The Dream of a Lifetime" or "Prisoner of White Agony Creek", both of which I was *very* proud of.

*** Then my final question, before or after the fistfight, would be "How in the name o' god did you people not even nominate, much less make a winner out of, Gemstone's magnificent (and so inexpensive!) job of reprinting the LIFE AND TIMES OF $CROOGE McDUCK or LaTo$McD COMPANION as BEST GRAPHIC NOVEL OF THE YEAR - REPRINT CATEGORY. It was Bud Plant's *best-selling* comic book item of *any sort* of the year, and fans have raved about it around the world. Gemstone did a spectacular job! And not even a nomination for either book?! For shame!"
Then they'd take away my plastic wine cup and ask me to leave...

Grappig? Er zijn meerdere manieren om iets als grappig te interpreten. Met zo'n denkbeeldig betoog, van een Don Rosa die met een plastic wijnbekertje, een zelfverheerlijkende vraag stelt in de naam van god.
Breekt daarom die vechtpartij uit? :D
Ei

Berichtdoor Rockerduck » do mei 10, 2007 7:57 pm

Je vindt dat mensen overdreven reageren op het (ons inziens) beschaafde taalgebruik van Michiel, maar zelf val je over "in the name o' god"? Dat doen Amerikanen nu eenmaal: die roepen om de twee zinnen God of Jezus aan. En dat van die vechtpartij vind ik juist een komische afdwaling. En voor degenen die niet hebben gesnapt dat Rosa het als grapje bedoelde, voegt hij er dat laatste zinnetje aan toe, over dat plastic bekertje. Briljant.
Rockerduck

Berichtdoor Ridder ter Geit » vr mei 11, 2007 1:48 pm

Edoch wel enigzins onbescheiden en raaskallend als altijd.
Ridder ter Geit

Berichtdoor Ei » vr mei 11, 2007 1:54 pm

Rockerduck schreef:Je vindt dat mensen overdreven reageren op het (ons inziens) beschaafde taalgebruik van Michiel, maar zelf val je over "in the name o' god"? Dat doen Amerikanen nu eenmaal: die roepen om de twee zinnen God of Jezus aan.

Dus beschaafde schrijvers als Michiel moeten zich de les laten lezen door mensen die hoog zouden scoren bij de 'Bond Tegen Vloeken'? Mensen die zelf kreten als "in godsnaam" gebruiken?

Joe Torcivia schrijft:
Finally, if you respond to these comments, do take the high road and make your point with examples (...particularly if you DO read the competing entries) and civility. We can continue to disagree without name calling and denigration.

Is "in the name o' god" dan geen name calling? Waarom zegt Joe Torcivia niets van Rosa's taalgebruik? Waarom krijgt alleen Michiel een preek?

Joe Torcivia schreef eerder:
If you're a fan of this stuff, I'd think you'd prefer the Eisner went to Rosa and/or Gemstone than having it go to someone else, under any circumstance!

Kreten als "under any circumstance!" en "in the name o' god". Is dat "civility"?

Het zal Ei een worst wezen of er gevloekt wordt. Maar gaat dan niet een ander de les zitten lezen. Ei irriteert zich aan de eenzijdige censuur.
Beschaafde Michiel moet zich als criticus verantwoorden op een gecensureerde mailing list, terwijl Rosa en zijn blinde volgelingen "in godsnaam" alles lijken te mogen zeggen, "under any circumstance!" Ei walgt daarvan.

Rockerduck schreef:En dat van die vechtpartij vind ik juist een komische afdwaling.

Rosa is goed in de aandacht afleiden, met zijn kluwens aan woorden. Ei prikt daar inmiddels doorheen. Zo komisch is Rosa niet, als je de kern van zijn betoog leest.

Rockerduck schreef:En voor degenen die niet hebben gesnapt dat Rosa het als grapje bedoelde, voegt hij er dat laatste zinnetje aan toe, over dat plastic bekertje. Briljant.

Ei ziet ook wel dat Rosa grappig probeert te zijn. Desondanks is Rosa ontzettend irritant als hij bijvoorbeeld schrijft:
I do not want this undeserved award -- but I'm very glad to see the nomination as that does not simply put "UNCLE $CROOGE" and "Gemstone" in the public eye in this Disney-comics-hating nation, but (in case you didn't notice), this is not only the FIRST category on the ballot, but mine is the FIRST alphabetically listed nomination simply because "Black Knight" starts with 'B'... and I assume (can't recall) that that will carry through in the actual awards ceremony, win or lose. So THAT is the good thing about this nomination of a story that deserves no special recognition. UNCLE $CROOGE and Gemstone Comics will still be the FIRST nomination of the entire night read aloud, while everyone is still paying full attention. The Gemstone/Barks/Disney comics are what deserve and need recognition here, and my nomination has already achieved that in the best way possible.

Dit is weer zo'n typische Rosa-stelling: "The Gemstone/Barks/Disney comics are what deserve and need recognition here, and my nomination has already achieved that in the best way possible."

Rosa's nominatie zorgt "in the best way possible" voor aandacht voor Gemstone/Barks/Disney comics. Rosa probeert van zijn eigenbelang een algemeen belang te maken. Stem je op Rosa, dan stem je op het voortbestaan van Disney comics.
't Is maar hoe je dit als grappig uitlegt. Voor Ei is het onverminderde, walgelijke zelfpromotie van Rosa.

Is 'The Black Knight Glorps Again' een goede manier om kennis te maken met Barks?? Of 'Prisoner of White Agony Creek'??
Zou een "Disney-comics-hating nation" in Barks en Disney comics geïnteresserd raken omdat een omhooggevallen underground-artiest, die amper kan tekenen, genomineerd is voor een Comics Industry Award?
Ei zou zeggen dat de "Disney-comics-hating nation" dan zeker afknapt op Disney strips. Zeker als het gaat om werk dat zogenaamd volgens Barks is. Men zou kunnen denken: Als Rosa al zo slecht is, laat die Barks dan maar zitten.

Ei vindt dat het nomineren van Rosa als tekenaar van Disney strips, rampzalig is voor Disney strips. Als underground artiest Rosa met een rammelend verhaal het beste is wat Gemstone nog voortbrengt, hoe waardeloos is de rest dan?

Leuk hoor, lachen om de zelfverheerlijking van Rosa. Ten koste van Barks en Disney strips.
Ei

Berichtdoor Rockerduck » vr mei 11, 2007 9:12 pm

't Is goed met je... 'In the name of God' is geen vloeken, en zéker niet voor Amerikanen, da's daar gewoonte, en hoezo is 'under any circumstance' nou weer verkeerd? Niet zo sneu doen, nou.
Rockerduck

Berichtdoor Ei » vr mei 11, 2007 11:37 pm

Rockerduck schreef:'t Is goed met je... 'In the name of God' is geen vloeken, en zéker niet voor Amerikanen, da's daar gewoonte, en hoezo is 'under any circumstance' nou weer verkeerd? Niet zo sneu doen, nou.

Wat is dan verkeerd aan de opmerking "this is sheer nonsense", waar een Europeaan vermanend op aangesproken wordt?
Ei

Berichtdoor Rockerduck » za mei 12, 2007 3:51 am

Daar is OOK niets verkeerd aan. Mensen moeten niet zo ruzie maken om Ducks. (Hoor wie het zegt :P)
Rockerduck

Berichtdoor Ei » zo jul 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Nieuws van DCML. Rosa heeft geen Eisner Award gewonnen voor 'The Black Knight Glorps Again!'.

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:43:54 EDT
Subject: Eisner Awards

The Eisner Awards were held Friday night at the San Diego Comic Con.
Don Rosa was nominated for Best Short Story.
He attended the awards ceremony but he did not win.
Todd Klein did win for best Letterer for the umpteenth consecutive year.
Don was happy to be nominated but felt it was not his best story.
He did mention that David Gerstein is his "Lucky Charm" and every time Don
has won, David was present. Next time he is nominated, we need to be sure that
David attends!
Just to update you on Don's American activities, he will be in San Diego
through Saturday and heading home on Sunday.
He will be in Baltimore for the September convention.

Barry

bron: DCML
http://nafsk.se/pipermail/dcml

Leest Ei het goed? Heeft Don Rosa geluk nodig om te winnen? :P
Ei

Berichtdoor mcprul » zo jul 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Ei schreef:Nieuws van DCML. Rosa heeft geen Eisner Award gewonnen voor 'The Black Knight Glorps Again!'.

Olé! Hoera! Eh... wat sneu voor die man.
mcprul

Berichtdoor Ei » zo jul 29, 2007 3:55 pm

mcprul schreef:Eh... wat sneu voor die man.

Sneu voor Don Rosa. Inderdaad. Maar ook voor zijn vele, vele vrienden en zijn vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, (puf puf!), vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele, vele vele fans.

Hoe is het toch mogelijk dat een meesterwerk als 'The Black Knight Glorps Again!' geen Eisner Award heeft gewonnen?
Zou het een complot zijn?
Ei

Berichtdoor Ei » za nov 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Nieuws van Don Rosa... Over sponsoring, signeren en winst. ("invited on a tour of Finland sponsored by a millionaire department store / hotel owner") ("being offered a 50/50 deal on the profits from the sale of my books as I sign them for fans")

Nee, weer geen nieuws over ducks zelf. Wie verwacht dat nog?

- - - - - - - - - -

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:47:14 -0500
Subject: RE: DCML Digest, Vol 57, Issue 3
To: [dcml]

Subject: Don Rosa MIA from Mid Ohio Comicon?
>>>>The website for Mid Ohio Comicon doesn't list Don as a guest this year.
Does anyone know if this is an oversight, or whether Don will truly be
absent this year?

Don WILL be absent from MidOhioCon this year... for the first time in 20
years.
Don (I) was invited on a tour of Finland sponsored by a millionaire
department store / hotel owner. In countries like Finland, putting your name
on a Duck writer/artist's back is like sponsoring a golf pro or (shudder!) a
NASCAR driver in America. It improves the sponsor's image. NOTHING in
America is as popular and universally beloved as Carl Barks' Aku Ankka
(Donald Duck) is in Finland.
Anyway, I will travel all around Finland for over 2 weeks signing copies of
the 2-volume hardback slipcased "Life of $crooge" book set that the Finnish
publisher has released -- it's a page-for-page copy of the two great
Gemstone editions, a WISE move by the Finnish publisher. Neither Gemstone
nor *I* get a penny out of this, as usual. Only Disney and the publisher
profit from all our work. I've done many signing tours for the publishers.
This time, I am being offered a 50/50 deal on the profits from the sale of
my books as I sign them for fans. The fans pay nothing extra. I just get
half the profits from sales. This is somewhat better than the 100/0 deal I
have always gotten from the publishers. And the seller made me the offer --
I would never have asked for such a large cut!
So... this is a new concept for me, to profit from my own popularity! A
first. I was invited for a month-long tour, but despite how much $ that
might mean, I just can't leave my wife and my dogs and my grass and all else
alone for so long. It would be too cruel and irresponsible. So I'm giving it
2.5 weeks. Nov. 20 to Dec. 10 But that required the cancellation of my
annual trip to Roger Price's MidOhioCon, with great apologies to him! He
always treats me as if he was... Finnish! But I'll make triply sure that I'm
there in 2008!
Sorry!
But maybe you can visit me in my tourbus in Helsinki? Or Tampere? Tuuri?
Oulu? Turku? Etc., etc.? No?

- - - - - - - - - -
Ei

Berichtdoor Rockerduck » za nov 10, 2007 7:44 pm

I just can't leave my wife and my dogs and my grass and all else
alone for so long.

"Grass"? Is Don Rosa ook al aan de wiet?
Rockerduck

VorigeVolgende

Keer terug naar Don Rosa