DD 2008-20

Berichtdoor Ei » vr mei 16, 2008 7:12 pm

Roddelflop index: Donald Duck 2008-20
http://www.roddelflop.nl/?p=506
Ei

Berichtdoor Ei » vr mei 16, 2008 8:40 pm

An English message. Just to try to get Robb_K's attention. :)

Michiel P schreef:
Helnwein: Was "The Milkman" the only story they didn't print because of too much brutality?

Barks: No.

Helnwein: "Holy Night" was another one?

Barks: Yeah, that was another, and then there was one I made in which Donald was in a footrace at some fair or festival. it was a parody of the old story "The Golden Apples"-in mythology there was some guy who had to race against one of the goddesses. And another goddess gave him a bunch of golden apples, and he would throw these over his shoulder whenever she got close to him, and she would stop to pick them up, and he'd get further ahead. And he managed to win the race. That was the old myth. So I based it on that, and I can't remember the details, but Donald would throw these apples over his shoulder-symbolic apples- and this beautiful duck girl that was racing against him would stop to pick up the apples and Daisy was so jealous.

Helnwein: I believe it.

Barks: She started throwing things at Donald. And so they scratched the story. They said that Daisy was too unladylike. All of that stuff disappeared. I never read anything more of it. Never heard what became of the drawing.

http://helnweincomic.homestead.com/carlbarks.html

Thanks! Ei didn't know this source.

Barks words here contradict a Barks quote in Michael Barrier's book, 'Carl Barks and the Art of the Comic Book'. Barks reverses roles. Here it's Donald throwing apples. Elsewhere, in Barrier's book, it's the queen throwing apples.
So, instead of an addition to the little information that's known, we get a confusion that puts the information in doubt. :/

Robb has told us that he knows information of Barks telling him (Robb) personally about memories of the golden apples story. If so, can Robb please tell us more? What did Barks memorize, according to Robb?

Robb_K schreef:Deze Blum 14-pagina's verhaal komt maar van een klein idee van Barks. Inderdaad, Blums verhaal, met Oom Dagobert en Magica is heel verschieden overal, en zeer verschieden van een paar dingen Barks had gebruikt. Barks 10-pagina's verhaal zou geweest veel verschieden zijn (met kortere omvang). Donald en andere mannen varen de najagers volgens de Koningen van het Appelfeest. Wanneer de Koningin werpt een gouden appel, en Donald kijkt naar beneden, de Koningen gaat verdwijnen.

Blums verhaal is helemaal NIET wat Brks hat geschreven en getekent (dat NIEMAND weet wat hij had geschept).

Ei has understood from Barrier's book that Barks has reversed the roles of the myth. In the myth it's the man who throws the apples away.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_apple

As Ei understands, Michael Barrier describes Barks's version as a "modern version of the myth of Atalanta and the golden apples". Ei guesses that "modern" refers to the reversal of roles as revealed in Barks's quote.
Barrier quotes Barks saying "she [the queen] would drop her golden apple and he [Donald] would pick it up".

What has happened to this story is a mystery. As Barks remembers it, the story was a modern version of the myth of Atalanta and the golden apples.
In a 1974 interview with Michael Barrier, Barks said: "I only recall that I had Daisy quite angry with Donald because he was trying to win the hand, I guess, of this queen of the apple festival.... Every time that Donald would be about to catch up with this fleeing queen, or princess, or goddess, whatever she was, she would drop her golden apple and he would pick it up, and then he had to chase her again.... Daisy was so jealous that she was throwing things at Donald, and she was not acting in a ladylike manner. That was the objection.... That was the only excuse they gave me." On another occasion, in an 1976 and/or 1983 interview, Barks has described the story as: "The story of Donald's footrace with Daisy - the one about the golden apples."

Information taken from Barrier's Carl Barks and the Art of the Comic Book, page MBAC-199; and Kim Weston article "My Secret Life By Scrooge McDuck - Or, The Unpublished Carl Barks", published in Funnyworld no. 16 (1975). Barks's 1976/1983 quote is taken from a compilation of "the text of 1976 and 1983 interviews", published in "The Carl Barks Library" (page 1B-362).
http://www.seriesam.com/barks/comicswdc124.html#ccus_wdc0144-u

Robb, what do you know more about the subject? Can you reveal to us what Barks has memorized according to you?
Ei

Berichtdoor Rockerduck » za mei 17, 2008 12:04 am

Ridder ter Geit schreef:Er waren meerdere focussen.

Nee, het is een onoverzichtelijke janboel.
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head into a guillotine
Rockerduck

Berichtdoor Redmess » ma mei 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Het valt me op dat in het eerste verhaal alle vrouwen consistent meisjes of meiden worden genoemd. Waar komt dit ineens vandaan? En we zien oom Dagobert ook nergens in het verhaal, behalve heel even aan het eind. Je zou denken dat hij ook achter Magica aanzit, of dat de neefjes hem waarschuwen, maar dat gebeurd niet. En de verhouding tussen Donald en Katrien lijkt ook anders dan we de laatste jaren zien. Sinds wanneer heeft Donald interesse voor andere dames dan Katrien? En katrien is ineens bijzonder jaloers. Het doet me denken aan oude tekenfilms met Donald en Katrien, waar zij zich vaak ook zo wisselvallig gedroeg.

En in het laatste verhaal word Donald door de walvissen meegesleept naar de pool. Niettegenstaande dat hij niet eens aan de walvis vastzit, walvissen onder water zwemmer en niet aan de oppervlakte, en Donald er makkelijk af had kunnen springen.
Redmess

Berichtdoor Rockerduck » wo mei 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Redmess schreef:En we zien oom Dagobert ook nergens in het verhaal, behalve heel even aan het eind. Je zou denken dat hij ook achter Magica aanzit, of dat de neefjes hem waarschuwen, maar dat gebeurd niet.

Oom Dagobert is al in de eerste pagina's te zien hoor, als Magica het dubbeltje verstopt tussen de appels.

Redmess schreef:En de verhouding tussen Donald en Katrien lijkt ook anders dan we de laatste jaren zien. Sinds wanneer heeft Donald interesse voor andere dames dan Katrien? En katrien is ineens bijzonder jaloers. Het doet me denken aan oude tekenfilms met Donald en Katrien, waar zij zich vaak ook zo wisselvallig gedroeg.

Dat Donald belangstelling heeft voor andere dames en dat Katrien dan jaloers is, is iets van álle tijden, óók van de laatste jaren.

Redmess schreef:En in het laatste verhaal word Donald door de walvissen meegesleept naar de pool. Niettegenstaande dat hij niet eens aan de walvis vastzit, walvissen onder water zwemmer en niet aan de oppervlakte, en Donald er makkelijk af had kunnen springen.

Da's artistieke vrijheid.
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head into a guillotine
Rockerduck

Vorige

Keer terug naar Donald Duck weekblad